What is Diversional Therapy?
Diversional therapy is a client centred practice and recognises that leisure and recreational experiences are the right of all individuals.
Diversional therapy practitioners work with people of all ages and abilities to design and facilitate leisure and recreation programmes. Activities are designed to support, challenge and enhance the psychological, spiritual, social, emotional and physical well being of individuals.
The Diversional Therapist provides opportunities where individuals may choose to participate in leisure and recreation activities which promote self esteem and personal fulfillment. The Diversional Therapist facilitates individual client choice, decision making and participation when developing and managing recreational programmes.
Skills and Knowledge
Through specialised education and training Diversional Therapists possess a broad range of skills and knowledge applicable to health, community and leisure settings.
Diversional Therapists have specialised skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Leisure counselling and education
- Assessment of leisure related needs and abilities
- individual personal programmes
- Facilitating client choice and decision making
- Leisure programming for individuals and groups
- Lifestyle management
- Creative and expressive recreation
- Activity analysis and modification
- Documentation of professional practice and client care
- Continuous Quality Improvement and evaluation
- Teaching and facilitation
- Health promotion
- Team and group work